Situated just 5 miles from St Asaph and the main A55 link road into North Wales, it is hard to believe that Open Door Adventure is so close to normal civilisation – because, it feels like you’re a million miles away!
Just 30 miles from Chester (to the east), 20 miles to the harbour town of Conwy with its 13th century Castle (to the west), and less than 10 miles to the coast, Open Door Adventure really does offer the best location, not to mention facilities! Set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the Centre offers the perfect location for your school trip or educational visit.
Outdoor activity programmes are designed to suit the needs of each group – adapted to the age and ability of the group members. Every student achieves something. Our Instructors encourage and empower so each student achieves the best they can achieve.
At Open Door Adventure we have a very clear view of how we can enhance the learning experience of children and young people by engaging in activities in the outdoors. We do this -
• By creating individual and team identity and self-worth with the children
• By enabling them to think outside of normal parameters
• By teaching them to operate safely in the outdoor environment
• By enabling them to recognise the benefits of team working by creating group cohesion and identity
• By revealing to them that by working towards shared goals and adopting a new approach to
challenges with a positive attitude, they can develop themselves
• By training them to learn new skills of how to enjoy outdoor techniques
Accommodation: Accommodation is dormitory style with comfy and spotless single and bunk beds; with teacher rooms close to student accommodation
• Dolben Hall - Our accommodation is Dolben Hall, a 10-bedroomed former mansion house.
The bedrooms are large spacious and comfortable with twin rooms, 4 person rooms, 5/6
person rooms with single beds and two dorms with 6 & 8 person bunks. There are five
bathrooms with adequate shower, bath facilities.
• Tent Village – we now have a Bell Tent Village! 12 Bell Tents measuring 5 x 5metres with 4
camp-beds per tent, fully carpeted, electrics (lighting, heating, phone charging). Full access
to toileting/showering facilities.
• We have a well fitted lecture room, games room & library, utility room, spacious lounge
with HD Sky, DVD and video, BBQ & patio area, purpose built outdoor fire area with seats,
the stores room contains everything you need for the activities.
• Unlike other outdoor centres, we have gone for quality and space and a home from home
atmosphere, with excellent food from our resident chef all good wholesome home-made
food, he like all of us he has pride in his vocation. Any special dietary requirements can be
All our staff delight in giving our clients the best possible experience. We provide exciting outdoor pursuits, which are challenging but fun to do. We pride ourselves in achieving your aims but in a friendly, professional, instructive and safe way. You may arrive as clients, but you leave as friends!
It is not just what we do, but how we do it! At Open Door Adventure we design programmes to meet your specific requirements, aims and objectives as well as contribute to the curriculem
• Our on-site forest woodland provides High/Low rope course with an aerial runway (Jacob’s
Ladder & Leap of Faith), a Bushcraft/Survival Skills area, Assault Course, Archery, Paintball
Target Shoot, Team Building & Problem Solving Games to name just a few
• Our on-site River Elwy enables us to offer Kayaking, Canoeing, Inflatables, Raft-Building
and White-Water rafting. We also have our own Water Sports Centre at Llyn Brenig which is
a 20 minutes’ drive from our Centre
• Our own on-site Limestone Rockface and natural Cave offers challenging climbing
techniques – Abseiling and Learning Scrambling Skills and Safety at on-site mine
We can accommodate groups of up to 54 in the Dolben Hall mansion house.
In the Bell Tent Village, we can accommodate 48 people camping
We have a dedicated classroom with power-point facilities. We can also offer the Dining Room and Large Lounge as well as outside but covered BBQ area with tables and chairs for use by smaller working groups
All our Instructors are First Aid Qualified (2 day Outdoor Recreation First Aid) and repeat this every 3 years
We have one room downstairs that can be converted for disabled use with a bathroom in immediate proximity
We discuss in detail any Special Educational Needs with the teachers prior to a residential
Our activities are primarily on site but in addition to all the above, Open Door Adventure can offer "off site" activities as follows:
• Gorge Walking
• White Water Rafting
• Water Sports Centre - Llyn Brenig 20 minutes away
We welcome site visits to discuss requirements; whether you want a day visit or residential, our programmes can be integrated with the school curriculum. We strive to ensure that we not only meet your students’ particular learning needs but are planned with us so that the learning we deliver, is reinforced and embedded once back in the classroom.
A brief overview of how we work with Key Stage aims:
- KS1 residential and day visits are designed with the pace and content to introduce younger
children to new experiences.
- KS2 we progressively introduce children to appropriate challenge, always working closely with
visiting staff to provide exciting challenges with great support.
- Beyond KS2 we deliver learning to complement the curriculum
We work with a lot of Youth Groups and Educational Establishments - including Princes' Trust and National Citizens Service and Duke of Edinburgh (DoE) so we know budgets are tight – and we aim to work with you to provide our services on budget but also pride ourselves on delivering the best quality service. We want you to not just come once, but come back again … just like our existing customers do. Please call us to discuss and we will be delighted to work with you to fulfil your aims & objectives!
Ps - For accommodation and catering there is one free teacher place for every 10 pupils.
At Open Door Adventure, the outdoors is the fantastic, wide open, beautiful classroom. We believe all young people deserve the opportunity to develop life skills in this setting. We provide school groups with programmes that enable the students to find out who they are, celebrate their strengths, push their boundaries to face their weaknesses and most of all, have such a memorable fun learning experience, which contributes to each person realising his/her true potential.
We provide pupils with activities that allow them to learn experientially. We provide immersing and engaging programmes in which they have room to discover their own individual abilities but also, opportunity to realise the benefits of working together as a team
Open Door Adventure offers students the chance to:
• Plan – how they are going to solve challenges by working together
• Decide – on what is the best way to solve challenges
• Collaborate – working with peers and establishing individual roles within a team setting
• Build – confidence in themselves as they stretch their boundaries and do things they didn’t
think they could do
• Develop – life skills, through participation and achievement