PORTALS TO THE PAST COVID 19 AND WORKSHOPS IN SCHOOLS PLAN
With schools returning in September in at least some capacity, Portals to the Past has reviewed its workshop practice with Covid19 in mind. It is part of our duty of care to pupils, teachers, workshop leaders and further the parents of the pupils we teach that we do as much as we can to limit the spread of the virus.
All workshop leaders will have hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray and paper cleaning towels available.
School policy will be followed regarding social distancing as a priority.
During this time teachers mobile numbers will be required so the workshop leaders can contact them to discuss in person how they wish the day to proceed.
We do not keep these on file or use for any other purpose. Your privacy is important to us.
During School workshops the following steps will be taken.
• Face masks will be worn in school by workshop leaders if required.
• Workshop leaders will be flexible in all aspects of the workshop to cater for your bubble sizes.
• In artefact handling sessions, workshop leaders will be flexible with more robust artefacts that are cleaned between each handling session with a disinfectant spray (Dettol is rated as antiviral for the current situation).
• Timings for activities will be flexible, with buffers before and after activities to wash hands properly.
• Between activities using quiz boards, boards will be cleaned with disinfectant spray.
• Workshop leaders will bring their own vessels for the consumption of hot drinks.
• Weather permitting, parts of the workshop will be undertaken in an open air setting if the teachers require and request it.
• We will be as flexible as possible in accordance to the wishes of the client in these difficult times.
• In this period of C19 there will no cancellation fees.
• Portals to the Past will have an active dynamic response to Government and School guidelines.
To help us as much as possible, we request that you inform us as soon as possible of any outbreak in the school so we can adjust bookings rapidly.
Why choose Portals to the Past?
We are not just “teachers that get dressed up”. Our multi-talented re-enactors are specialists in their field; true historians with a genuine passion for the past. The Portals team takes great delight in sharing their knowledge and their enjoyment of history with a whole new generation of history buffs.
As seen on film and TV...
Our Time Travellers are very much in demand for their depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for their subject. They regularly take part in historical re-enactments, and have appeared in many films, historical documentaries and on the BBC’s “Horrible Histories”.
Our Saxon Workshop...
Experience Saxon England, from the hierarchy and etiquette of the Lord’s Hall, the language and the story of Beowulf, through to the burial of a Saxon king.
The day begins with a short talk that explores how the Saxons changed the culture of post-Roman Britain, followed by:
Etiquette and hierarchy of a feast in the Lord’s Hall
Learn to play Fox and Geese, a Saxon board game
A performance of the famous Beowulf story
A Saxon quiz
A weapons and armour display
Why did the Normans win the Battle of Hastings?
The burial of a Saxon King
How archaeologists make sense of the information they find in the ground
Our Viking Workshops...
This hugely popular Viking workshop covers everything from home-life to battles, Gods and how to have fun, Viking-style. Our Viking warriors have been successfully raiding schools for nearly twenty years and, in much the same way that the original Vikings left an enduring mark on Britain, they leave a lasting impression on pupils and teachers like.
The day starts with a short talk, followed by a number of activities for the children to take part in, such as:
Play Fox and Geese the viking board game
A Viking quiz
Having fun with kennings
Life at home – a chance to examine a range of artefacts from cooking pots and utensils to an ironing board and combs (the girls soon learn what was expected of them 1200 years ago!)
A weapons and armour display
Viking Spear wrestling
Portals history workshops are designed to cater for up to 100 children, all day, working around your timetable.
Please note, if your school is located in a town or city we will require secure off-road parking for the duration of our visit to your school.
Bringing history lessons to life
We offer exciting, immersive and inspiring history workshops for schools, presented by a charismatic team of “performing historians” with a deep-rooted passion for their subject.
Hands-on, educational workshops
Drawing upon an unrivalled pool of talented historians, archaeologists and reenactors, we typically visit more than 1,700 UK schools a year to deliver hands-on, educational workshops that leave kids (and teachers) buzzing.
Teachers interested in this Portals To The Past workshop also viewed the learning experiences below.
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Feel free to use our tailor-made trip form and we can help you find the perfect experience for your class!