PORTALS TO THE PAST COVID 19 AND WORKSHOPS IN SCHOOLS PLAN
With schools returning in September in at least some capacity, Portals to the Past has reviewed its workshop practice with Covid19 in mind. It is part of our duty of care to pupils, teachers, workshop leaders and further the parents of the pupils we teach that we do as much as we can to limit the spread of the virus.
All workshop leaders will have hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray and paper cleaning towels available.
School policy will be followed regarding social distancing as a priority.
During this time teachers mobile numbers will be required so the workshop leaders can contact them to discuss in person how they wish the day to proceed.
We do not keep these on file or use for any other purpose. Your privacy is important to us.
During School workshops the following steps will be taken.
• Face masks will be worn in school by workshop leaders if required.
• Workshop leaders will be flexible in all aspects of the workshop to cater for your bubble sizes.
• In artefact handling sessions, workshop leaders will be flexible with more robust artefacts that are cleaned between each handling session with a disinfectant spray (Dettol is rated as antiviral for the current situation).
• Timings for activities will be flexible, with buffers before and after activities to wash hands properly.
• Between activities using quiz boards, boards will be cleaned with disinfectant spray.
• Workshop leaders will bring their own vessels for the consumption of hot drinks.
• Weather permitting, parts of the workshop will be undertaken in an open air setting if the teachers require and request it.
• We will be as flexible as possible in accordance to the wishes of the client in these difficult times.
• In this period of C19 there will no cancellation fees.
• Portals to the Past will have an active dynamic response to Government and School guidelines.
To help us as much as possible, we request that you inform us as soon as possible of any outbreak in the school so we can adjust bookings rapidly.
Activities, artefacts and fun to bring Tudor times to life...
The day starts with a short talk start on how and why the Tudors came to power, the effects of religious turmoil and how the discovery of the New World changed Europe.
The rest of the morning is taken up with activities such as:
A Tudor quiz
How many games can the children spot in Bruegel’s famous Children’s Games oil painting?
Merrells, a popular 16th century game
Tudor clothes and social status in the 16th century
Learning a simple Tudor Round Song
The afternoon starts with Tudor medicine, followed by a jousting game, and finally a Tudor dance to finish an exciting, engaging and educational day.
Portals history workshops are designed to cater for up to 100 children, all day, working around your timetable.
Please note, if your school is located in a town or city we will require secure off-road parking for the duration of our visit to your school.
Bringing history lessons to life
We offer exciting, immersive and inspiring history workshops for schools, presented by a charismatic team of “performing historians” with a deep-rooted passion for their subject.
Hands-on, educational workshops
Drawing upon an unrivalled pool of talented historians, archaeologists and reenactors, we typically visit more than 1,700 UK schools a year to deliver hands-on, educational workshops that leave kids (and teachers) buzzing.
Why choose Portals to the Past?
We are not just “teachers that get dressed up”. Our multi-talented re-enactors are specialists in their field; true historians with a genuine passion for the past. The Portals team takes great delight in sharing their knowledge and their enjoyment of history with a whole new generation of history buffs.
As seen on film and TV...
Our Time Travellers are very much in demand for their depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for their subject. They regularly take part in historical re-enactments, and have appeared in many films, historical documentaries and on the BBC’s “Horrible Histories”.
Teachers interested in this Portals To The Past workshop also viewed the learning experiences below.
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Feel free to use our tailor-made trip form and we can help you find the perfect experience for your class!