School Workshops - Portals To The Past
PORTALS TO THE PAST COVID 19 AND WORKSHOPS IN SCHOOLS PLAN
With schools returning in September in at least some capacity, Portals to the Past has reviewed its workshop practice with Covid19 in mind. It is part of our duty of care to pupils, teachers, workshop leaders and further the parents of the pupils we teach that we do as much as we can to limit the spread of the virus.
All workshop leaders will have hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray and paper cleaning towels available.
School policy will be followed regarding social distancing as a priority.
During this time teachers mobile numbers will be required so the workshop leaders can contact them to discuss in person how they wish the day to proceed.
We do not keep these on file or use for any other purpose. Your privacy is important to us.
During School workshops the following steps will be taken.
• Face masks will be worn in school by workshop leaders if required.
• Workshop leaders will be flexible in all aspects of the workshop to cater for your bubble sizes.
• In artefact handling sessions, workshop leaders will be flexible with more robust artefacts that are cleaned between each handling session with a disinfectant spray (Dettol is rated as antiviral for the current situation).
• Timings for activities will be flexible, with buffers before and after activities to wash hands properly.
• Between activities using quiz boards, boards will be cleaned with disinfectant spray.
• Workshop leaders will bring their own vessels for the consumption of hot drinks.
• Weather permitting, parts of the workshop will be undertaken in an open air setting if the teachers require and request it.
• We will be as flexible as possible in accordance to the wishes of the client in these difficult times.
• In this period of C19 there will no cancellation fees.
• Portals to the Past will have an active dynamic response to Government and School guidelines.
To help us as much as possible, we request that you inform us as soon as possible of any outbreak in the school so we can adjust bookings rapidly.
Bringing history lessons to life
We offer exciting, immersive and inspiring history workshops for schools, presented by a charismatic team of “performing historians” with a deep-rooted passion for their subject.
Hands-on, educational workshops
Drawing upon an unrivalled pool of talented historians, archaeologists and reenactors, we typically visit more than 1,700 UK schools a year to deliver hands-on, educational workshops that leave kids (and teachers) buzzing.
Why choose Portals to the Past?
We are not just “teachers that get dressed up”. Our multi-talented re-enactors are specialists in their field; true historians with a genuine passion for the past. The Portals team takes great delight in sharing their knowledge and their enjoyment of history with a whole new generation of history buffs.
As seen on film and TV...
Our Time Travellers are very much in demand for their depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for their subject. They regularly take part in historical re-enactments, and have appeared in many films, historical documentaries and on the BBC’s “Horrible Histories”.
Why book Portals To The Past's Roman Workshops workshop for your school?
This engaging and motivating day studies life in Britain under the Pax Romana, the long period of relative peacefulness experienced by the Roman Empire.
The children explore the dramatic change in the lifestyle of even the lowliest citizens following the arrival of the Roman legions, take a tour through a bath-house and experience the excitement of the games arena. Real Roman artefacts provide the opportunity to get a real hands-on experience of history.
Other activities include:
Delta – a Roman numeral, maths-based game
Segedunum – a simple and fun Roman game
A display of Roman and Celtic weapons and armour
Boudicca’s final battle with the Romans
The day finishes with a gladiator show, in which the children have all the important roles, from slaves through to the mighty Emperor.
What size groups do you cater for?
Portals history workshops are designed to cater for up to 100 children, all day, working around your timetable.
Please note, if your school is located in a town or city we will require secure off-road parking for the duration of our visit to your school.
Need more inspiration?
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Below are a few similar suggestions to Portals To The Past , or head to our tailor-made trip form and let us know how we can help you!