School Trips - Sweden Arctic Service, Husky Camp Programme
Offering an unparalleled opportunity to see the Northern Lights, this package is perfect for schools looking to get away from the standard Ski holiday. With the perfect balance of adventure, challenge, information and learning – our school trips to Sweden are really able to tick all of your educational, service, inspirational and fun boxes.
ATOL | ABTA | LOtC | EPA
Trusted, multi award winning provider of trips to the Arctic
This is a 5 night experience where students will be responsible for themselves and for looking after their husky teams. The wilderness location of the kennels gives a fantastic opportunity to see the Northern Lights if they are on display.
Our exclusive husky apprentice service programme gives real value to the students and staff and has a direct impact on the health and wellbeing of their dog teams – providing everything the dogs need to be fit, healthy and to do their jobs.
- Flights from London Heathrow to Kiruna, Sweden, Via Stockholm – return
- All local transfers
- Winter clothing – thermal suit and boots
- 5 Nights’ Comfortable, basic accommodation in warm huts, Lavu, with heating inside
- Full board - breakfast, lunch, dinner each day + some snacks between.
- Survival Skills: Making fire in winter time, clothes, shelter/Igloos
- Husky: Helping with training, students will get a chance to drive using pro sleds
- Kennel work, feeding, cleaning, preparing teams for guides, etc.
- Icehotel visit
- Sami visit – an opportunity to meet the reindeers
- ATOL and ABTA Protection
Day 1 - Arrival Day
- Private transfer to the accommodation in Kiruna
- Pizza dinner on arrival
- Accommodation: Shared accommodation in SPiS Kiruna for one night. – SPiS is comfortable, basic hostel style accommodation.
Day 2- 5 - Key Themes: Service, Environment, Nature, Adventure, Fun
- Days at the kennels will be split with kennel tasks which will either be in the morning or afternoon and will be decided daily during the trip.
- Tasks will include mucking out, repairs, dog feeding, grooming, training and harnessing.
- November is a critical time in Kennel life as the dogs undergo refresher training before the winter season. Students have the unique opportunity to be involved in this vital work as they work on skills as well as fitness and stamina as well as performing any kennel improvements and repairs before the brutal winter makes the work too difficult.
- Work continues at the kennels whatever the conditions, the dogs need to be looked after and prepared for the winter season – there is always lots to do.
Alongside the kennel activities Day 2 – 5 will include the following:
- Wilderness skills as taught to Ray Mears – Arctic survival, shelter building, navigation, food finding and fire starting
- Students will visit the world leading ICEHOTEL 365
- Students will visit the Sami Centre where they can meet reindeer
- Teacher led activities during free time may include snow races, snow Olympics, quizzes and so on.
- Subject to conditions there will be the opportunity for husky sledge driving in teams (possibility to drive sledges with minimum age 13 and 50kg weight with some exceptions) kennel tasks
- The cabins are in the wilderness and offer basic multi-share with electricity and bunk beds with separate shower block. There is a large Kota cabin where meals are served.
- The location of the husky kennels is *exceptional* for seeing the Northern Lights
Day 6 - Fun in the snow
- Say goodbye to your husky friends and check out of husky kennels
- Transfer to 4* cabins. Perfect for a night of comfort and relaxation after the hard work.
- The Resort has a sledging hill for fun and a spa (additonal cost) which can be added for relaxation
Day 7 - Departure Day
- Early morning departure by coach for Kiruna airport for return flights
- Return Flights to the UK
Prices start from £1425pp based on 25 + 2 FREE teacher spaces
Why should you consider Arctic Direct for School Trips and Educational Visits?
This is a trip students will remember forever and that staff will want to do again and again! The itinerary has been prepared with service and fun in mind and unlike any other school trip, this is a really exciting adventure and will give students a huge sense of pride, accomplishment and fulfilment and will truly offer students an experience they will never forget.
Arctic Education is the trusted school travel brand of Travelbee Ltd, the multi award winning Arctic travel specialist based in the UK. Established in 2004, we have become the UKs leading online Arctic tour operator. Offering holidays, educational tours and corporate trips, we’re now the World’s biggest supplier of holidays to the Glass Igloos to see the Northern Lights.
|Free Places for Teachers|
|LOtC Quality Badge|
|School Travel Forum Assured|
|Expedition Providers Association|
The lure of Iceland for school groups
Find out what makes Iceland so popular and tips on how to get the most out of your Iceland school trip.continue reading...
Need more inspiration?
We work with all the top School Travel Tour Operators, offering a huge range of inspirational trips, tours and expeditions, whether you are looking for a short hop over the channel to France, or a multi-week trek on the other side of the globe. Below are a few suggestions similar to Arctic Direct , or head to our tailor-made trip form and let us know how we can help you!