World War Two Workshops
School Workshops - Portals To The Past
PORTALS TO THE PAST COVID 19 AND WORKSHOPS IN SCHOOLS PLAN
With schools returning in September in at least some capacity, Portals to the Past has reviewed its workshop practice with Covid19 in mind. It is part of our duty of care to pupils, teachers, workshop leaders and further the parents of the pupils we teach that we do as much as we can to limit the spread of the virus.
All workshop leaders will have hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray and paper cleaning towels available.
School policy will be followed regarding social distancing as a priority.
During this time teachers mobile numbers will be required so the workshop leaders can contact them to discuss in person how they wish the day to proceed.
We do not keep these on file or use for any other purpose. Your privacy is important to us.
During School workshops the following steps will be taken.
• Face masks will be worn in school by workshop leaders if required.
• Workshop leaders will be flexible in all aspects of the workshop to cater for your bubble sizes.
• In artefact handling sessions, workshop leaders will be flexible with more robust artefacts that are cleaned between each handling session with a disinfectant spray (Dettol is rated as antiviral for the current situation).
• Timings for activities will be flexible, with buffers before and after activities to wash hands properly.
• Between activities using quiz boards, boards will be cleaned with disinfectant spray.
• Workshop leaders will bring their own vessels for the consumption of hot drinks.
• Weather permitting, parts of the workshop will be undertaken in an open air setting if the teachers require and request it.
• We will be as flexible as possible in accordance to the wishes of the client in these difficult times.
• In this period of C19 there will no cancellation fees.
• Portals to the Past will have an active dynamic response to Government and School guidelines.
To help us as much as possible, we request that you inform us as soon as possible of any outbreak in the school so we can adjust bookings rapidly.
Bringing history lessons to life
We offer exciting, immersive and inspiring history workshops for schools, presented by a charismatic team of “performing historians” with a deep-rooted passion for their subject.
Hands-on, educational workshops
Drawing upon an unrivalled pool of talented historians, archaeologists and reenactors, we typically visit more than 1,700 UK schools a year to deliver hands-on, educational workshops that leave kids (and teachers) buzzing.
Why choose Portals to the Past?
We are not just “teachers that get dressed up”. Our multi-talented re-enactors are specialists in their field; true historians with a genuine passion for the past. The Portals team takes great delight in sharing their knowledge and their enjoyment of history with a whole new generation of history buffs.
As seen on film and TV...
Our Time Travellers are very much in demand for their depth of knowledge and enthusiasm for their subject. They regularly take part in historical re-enactments, and have appeared in many films, historical documentaries and on the BBC’s “Horrible Histories”.
Why book Portals To The Past - World War Two Workshops workshop for your school?
A captivating workshop that vividly brings World War II to life...
Pupils will participate in a range of educational activities, and have the chance to explore genuine WWII artifacts and try on real period clothing. They will discover the true meaning of community spirit and gain a memorable insight into what life was like for people in Britain during World War II, particularly children.
The day begins with a lively introduction to the period, followed by:
World War II quiz
Home guard drill
Discussion with genuine World War II artefacts
The afternoon begins with a talk about civilian occupations, followed by:
Air Raid Precaution training (watch out for the air raid siren – everyone to the shelters!)
What was in an evacuee’s suitcase?
How fun could still be had in the war, with dancing and a sing-along
Clothing rationing and utility clothing
The day will close with the all clear siren.
What size groups do you cater for?
Portals history workshops are designed to cater for up to 100 children, all day, working around your timetable.
Please note, if your school is located in a town or city we will require secure off-road parking for the duration of our visit to your school.
Reviews from Schools visiting Portals To The Past!
Need more inspiration?
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Below are a few similar suggestions to Portals To The Past , or head to our tailor-made trip form and let us know how we can help you!