We have coronavirus safety provisions in place to allow us to welcome single class bubbles back for on-site bookings. We have a full covid-19 risk assessment addendum available to supplement our existing risk assessments. We are offering penalty-free deferrals in the event of an infection disrupting a booked date for any school groups who would like to 'pencil a booking in'. Some of our site visits are currently not available, where other land-owners have put in their own restrictions. Please contact us for more details.
- At the Eco Centre we have a safe, self-contained classroom area for the sole use of school groups.
- We always aim to help teachers wherever possible - for example, for some of our topics, including our current most popular visit, The Stone Age, we are able to cater for two classes together. This often saves on transport costs!
- We are repeatedly told that we make visitors feel very welcome, the advance planning and running of the day is very well organised and that we can skilfully tailor each day to match the needs of each group, catering for a range of abilities and learning styles.
- We are always happy to work with teachers to design a day to suit individual needs if our current topics do not.
- Our ever-growing list of repeat customers is testament to our teacher satisfaction record.
- Many of our days involve an off-site element (usually a half day) along our stunning local coastline - including our ever popular Coastal Change, River Estuaries and Local Area Study (Victorians) sessions.
- Our Rainforests and Natural Disasters topics, like many of our others, include the use of engaging, in-house designed resources among the activities. These aren't available anywhere else, making our days a truly unique experience.
- Many of our workshops are adaptable across most age ranges and abilities.
- Assessment data for your pupils is available for all days upon request. Many sessions also provide each pupil with a piece of work to take away at the end of the day.
Curriculum topics available: Stone Age.
We run a brilliant, hands-on Stone Age educational experience. Based on much local evidence, the day is packed with fun and facts. Our activities include a mock archaeological dig, a giant board game where pupils 'travel' through the three periods of the Stone Age and a visit to our local coastline which has much in common with the area 8,000 years ago.
Our Local Area Study day starts with a tour of Southport Centre, front and Pier. We look at the influence the Victorians had on the development of the town, using historical photos and video footage as a comparison. Upon return to the Eco Centre pairs can produce a Southport 'Now and Then' mini movies (which can be sent back to school afterwards), contrasting the town in Victorian times and today.
Curriculum topics available: Materials and recycling, Plastic pollution, Extreme Weather, Rainforest, Sustainable living, Global warming, Renewable Engergy, Climate change, Conservation.
Our coverage of Environmental Geography is very wide-ranging. We deliver memorable educational workshops on a range of pertinent, current issues and can even mix and match some content to meet your needs. We use exciting activities - using computers, games, fact hunts etc. to teach about climate change, natural disasters/weather/sea defences, environmental footprints, recycling, pollution, rainforests and renewable energy.
Curriculum topics available: Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Water cycles, Rivers, Rainforests, Environment, Plate Tectonics, Polar Regions, Coasts and seaside, Climate zones and biomes .
Physical Geography comes into many of our workshops and we employ a combination of site visits in-house designed games and resources to bring the subject alive! We take groups out to the coast/river to explore local issues or deliver class based workshops for the contrasting localities - rainforests and volcanoes/earthquakes. Our most recent addition, climate and weather, can take on a number of forms depending on the needs of your class.
In terms of field studies, we take groups to local coastal sites for informative tours on history, natural history and geography. We do not have fieldwork equipment (our Local Area study day includes some map work) but some teachers choose to facilitate their own fieldwork while on site. We can allow time for this during the tour. Some groups choose to do site sketches. We can provide health and safety advice for beach art activities during beach free time. We are hoping to secure a new asset on site at the Centre which will transform our capacity for fieldwork so watch this space!
Our standard workshops are intended for groups of no more than 32 pupils. We have, however, been able to adapt some of them to cater for larger groups. Please contact us to discuss your specific requirements.
- Our classroom is available for the sole use of pre-booked school groups. - Most of our sessions also include activities within our private Eco garden. - Some also use the interactive displays in the public concourse area. - Lunches can be eaten in the classroom or (weather permitting) the Eco garden.
We strongly recommend you bring your own First Aid kit and First Aider on your visit.
- The Eco Centre and garden are accessible and the main concourse contains a disabled toilet. - All fully on-site days and all days involving a site visit except the River Estuaries day can be adapted to suit disabled visitors providing teachers work with us and make a pre-visit.
We pride ourselves on our ability to provide exciting educational opportunities for all. If teachers are able to work closely with us in advance of their visit we can usually cater for all needs.
Just a few of our recent testimonials:
"Super visit, highly engaging and informative. If you've not been, get booking!" Mr Catterall, Red Lane Primary School, Bolton.
"We have been before and keep returning as it is a fantastic experience. Everything is so well organised. The activities are catered for different learning styles. It is brilliant!" Mrs Wilcock, Wood Fold Primary School, Standish, Wigan.
"This was a brilliant trip! It was a complete topic delivered in a day. Thank you so much." Mrs Carey, Holy Family School, Southport.
Our engaging educational 'menu' is ever expanding as we aim to meet teachers' needs. We currently offer inspirational days covering 14 core topics, all with an Eco link and some involving an outdoor learning experience*:
Local Area Study/Victorians*
The Water Cycle/Conservation
Weather and Climate
What's the Cost of Your Waste?
"Coastal Change “Brilliant teacher, her subject knowledge enhanced the learning and engagement of all children. The children loved the quiz too. Thank you so much”."
Barrowford Primary School
"Subject of study – History – Seasides from the past
Comments – Super visit, highly engaging and informative! If you’ve not been, get booking!"
Red Lane Primary School
"We visited the Eco Centre on a school trip. The staff were absolutely fantastic and the day was organised so well. Our day was based on The Stone Age and the children had so much fun participating in a carousel of different indoor and outdoor activities. We will definitely be returning next year. Thank you to Darren and Julie. Also to Plan My Trip who we found the Eco Centre through."
Teacher Blessed Sacrament Primary
"An extremely enjoyable and engaging day. the children thoroughly enjoyed it - this will really support our work in class. Thank you very much." Local Area Study."
Miss Shaw Well Green Primary School, Hale
"What a wonderful trip! The best I have been on. The children and myself have learnt so much in a fun way, which would have been hard to do for such a complex topic. Darren is a wonderful teacher and his passion and knowledge shines through to the children. THANK YOU!! Pre-history/Stone Age."
Mrs Court Arnot St. Mary Primary School, Walton-le-dale
Teachers interested in this Southport Eco Centre trip also viewed the learning experiences below.
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Feel free to use our tailor-made trip form and we can help you find the perfect experience for your class!