The Medina Valley Centre is an independent Outdoor Education and Field Studies Centre based at the heart of the Isle of Wight. For nearly 40 years we have been delivering high quality courses to young people from KS2 to A Level and from all walks of life.
Our activity team is made up of experienced and enthusiastic instructors who have a passion for personal development. Our aim is that groups have an opportunity to grow as both individuals and a team as well as having an absolutely fantastic time.
We specialise in embedding developmental and life skills models (such as Kolbs Learning Cycle and Betari's Box) in our activities. Staff visiting the centre regularly take the models we instil and are able to use them to great effect back in the classroom.
At the Medina Valley Centre we believe that community values and experiences are vital! Our staff spend time getting to know all the groups who come to the Centre. We regularly hear in feedback that the Centre "has a wonderful family atmosphere" and we strive to ensure that groups leave the Island having had a valuable educational experience, but also with enhanced self-confidence through being valued and cared for by the whole team.
Our activities are all designed to be accessible for groups of all ages and backgrounds. Through the booking process we will discuss with you what your group requires and tailor-build a program to suit your needs.
We have a wide range of activities available, including :
Water : Kayaking, Canoeing, Raft Building, Sailing
Land : Archery, Rifle shooting, Nightline, Team challenges
Mountain biking, Pioneering, Wide games
These exciting activities are usually instructed on a 1:8 ratio, with an instructor assigned to each group for the week. This allows each group to build a positive relationship with their instructor and enables us to provide top quality care and development for each individual.
We work hard to make sure you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay at the Centre:
- Our chefs will tickle your taste buds with their wonderful home cooked meals, with dining in our main 90 seat dining room. Smaller groups may wish to look into self catering in our lodge accomodation.
- Our main building accommodation is split into 2 wings, each with capacity for 36 young people and up to 6 staff. The group rooms are comfortable bunk rooms with storage and sinks to make group management a breeze, and all of our staff bedrooms have en-suite facilities.
*NEW FOR 2019*
- Our 24 bed lodge is the ideal space for smaller groups. Each 4 bed group room has en-suite facilities, as do the 2 staff rooms. The lodge has a multi purpose lounge with seating for 24, a self catering kitchen available and comfy area for the evenings
- Our spacious and comfortable main lounge has stunning views over the river, and is equipped with a pool table, table football and a well-stocked games cupboard
- Our Centre shop provides for those forgotten essentials and gifts to take home
- And our drying room is very effective for those days when nature triumphs!
Originally set up as The Christian Sailing Centre the founding Christian ethos is still strong to this day. This gives us our passion to provide top quality education as well as a positively developmental environment where young people feel they are valued for who they are.
Every group that comes to the Centre has a dedicated hosting team to look after you after the work of the day is done and in the mornings for the start of the day and breakfast.
From start to finish we pride ourselves on the support we offer to groups visiting the Centre, in order that it should be a wonderful experience for all involved!
- We are always available to help with the organisation and arrangements pre-trip, including pre trip visits if preferred.
- You will have MVC staff available to support you 24/7 during the stay
- All the information you need (risk assessments etc) are available on request in digital format
We can cater for a huge variety of trip types. Whether it is a 3 day, 5 day or longer residential; whether a group of year 5's or year 12's; whether a day visit, a self run visit with accommodation or a full activity program we can be flexible to provide what fits your needs and budget best. We love to talk through options, and no idea is to out of the box, so do give us a call!
Our 4 accommodation blocks can cater for groups from 10 - 80, with a range of combinations available
We have 3 fully equipped classrooms and a range of additional breakout spaces
All our group facing staff have full current first aid certificates
We have disabled bedrooms and bathrooms available, and have completely step free access available to allow anyone to visit the centre.
We can cater for a wide variety of physical, educational and behavioural needs.
|Free Places for Teachers|
|Bursaries or Funded Places Available|
|Institute of Outdoor Learning|
Teachers interested in this Medina Valley Centre trip also viewed the learning experiences below.
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Feel free to use our tailor-made trip form and we can help you find the perfect experience for your class!