A-life is a leading provider of Health & Wellbeing Workshops, delivered at your school during the school day. We offer a number of workshops including Healthy Workshops, Fun Fitness, Alcohol & Drug Awareness, Staff PE Training and Parent Sessions.
Alcohol and Drugs Awareness Workshop
Session length: 1 hour 15 minutes
No. of pupils per session: up to 35
Age suitability: Year 5-8
Description: Our unique Alcohol and Drugs Awareness Workshop creates a safe environment for pupils to begin considering this sensitive subject. We aim to ‘prepare not to scare’ as we delve into the issues around the potential dangers and health problems associated with drugs, alcohol and smoking. Pupils find this workshop setting, led by a trained A-life coach, a comfortable and relaxed space in which to explore the issues surrounding drugs and alcohol, as well as the associated issues of peer pressure and knowing how to make informed, sensible decisions. Our experienced coaches will provide a fun and relaxed approach, offering hands on activities (including trying out our amazing drunk simulation goggles) and anecdotal stories to help children engage in this serious and important topic which many schools and families find difficult to tackle.
Topics include: What are drugs? What does a drug do? The benefits and dangers of drugs, Medicines and legal drugs, Illegal drugs, Short & long term consequences of drinking, Young people and alcohol, Smoking, The effects of smoking, E-cigarettes, Peer pressure
Legal information, and for Year 7&8 some additional detail about illegal drugs, Alcohol and units, Binge drinking and legal highs.
(For details on our other sessions, please contact us or search for separate listings.)
• Interactive, hard-hitting yet super-fun session
• We are an experienced provider with over 12 years’ experience, having taught well over 500,000 children in more than 750 schools with outstanding feedback and a 5 star rating almost every time
• We visit your school, so no additional transport costs or off-site disruptions for you (children stay in their usual lessons until their workshop time)
• You can mix and match from our workshops to create a unique programme that suits your school’s needs
Here is a brief overview of our other sessions, for more details please contact us or search for separate listings:
• Healthy Workshop – a 1 hour hands-on session for up to 60 pupils (Nur-Yr 6) that engages and motivates children as they gain new learning and embed existing knowledge on the topic of the human body and keeping healthy. Topics include: healthy eating, getting active, hygiene, sleep, teeth, smoking, alcohol & drugs and lots more.
• Fun Fitness Sessions - designed to give all pupils a full body workout at the same time as reinforcing the key messages of keeping healthy from the hands-on workshop. We provide a fun-packed, non-stop, fast-paced session that motivates pupils to understand that keeping active is a vital part of staying healthy and can be a lot of fun. (Nur-Yr 6)
• Staff Training – these sessions are packed full of games and ideas for teachers. From basic warm up ideas to team games, to skills sessions, our A-life team will provide plenty of activities and ideas to inspire and equip staff as they go back to their classrooms and deliver PE.
• Parent Sessions – these sessions are very flexible – they can be based on the Healthy Workshop or Fun Fitness and can be adults-only or have children join their parents to learn / get active as a family.
Alcohol & Drug Awareness – up to 35 per session
N/a – we visit your school.
This session includes slightly more teaching from the front than our Healthy Workshop, but is still engaging for varying abilities.
"Excellent. Great balance of facts, discussion and activities. I think they'll remember this for a long time and have taken a lot from it - thank you. Very informative and pitched just right for this age group of pupils (Year 6) - will help discussion to follow. Superb way of demonstrating the benefits and ill effects of drugs. Very interactive and great coach. The children absolutely loved it! 5*."
Stag Lane Junior School, Edgware
"The students were so engaged with the sessions, they had the correct amount of facts, activities and discussions with the Year 8s. The students found the information interesting and relevant and I could see that it was a real eye opener to them regarding alcohol and drugs. The coach really did well to run the session and engage the students. It was very refreshing to see the students so engaged. 5*."
Bow Secondary School, London
|Free Places for Teachers|
|Bursaries or Funded Places Available|
Teachers interested in this A Life workshop also viewed the learning experiences below.
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Feel free to use our tailor-made trip form and we can help you find the perfect experience for your class!