School Workshops - A Life
A-life is a leading provider of Health & Wellbeing Workshops, delivered at your school during the school day. We offer a number of workshops including Healthy Workshops, Fun Fitness, Alcohol & Drug Awareness, Staff PE Training and Parent Sessions.
Session length: 1 hour (approx.)
No. of pupils per session: up to 60
Age suitability: Nursery-Year 6
Description: Children will be put into small groups and, after a short introduction from your A-life coach, head off to one of the action-packed activity stations, where they will:
• Piece together the human body, exploring the function of each organ
• Use puzzles to explore different fruits and vegetables and getting 5 a day
• Explore how many grams of sugar and salt are in some favourite drinks and snacks
• Watch a short DVD to discover new ways of keeping fit and active
• Play different games that show where food comes from, how food grows and foods from around the world
• Use maths to shop to a budget
• Put on a fat belt and work out how heavy it is
• Investigate the nutritional values of different foods
• Use life-like foods to discover what a balanced diet is all about
• Simulate the effects of drinking too much alcohol, testing its effect on our balance and ability to walk (Year 5 upwards. Always supervised by an adult.)
• Follow directions around a map to different takeaways
• Check out their tooth brushing technique and see how their personal hygiene is
• Find out how much sleep they need and whether they are getting it
• Sort household items into ‘safe’ and ‘unsafe’ bins
…And LOADS more!
Topics include: the human body, healthy eating, balanced diet, nutritional values, importance of physical activity, teeth, hygiene, sleep, household safety, alcohol & drugs (Yr5/6 only) and making informed choices.
Online 7-day Healthy Challenge – Included free with any Healthy Workshop booking is our great fun, interactive online quiz to follow up the teaching from the workshops. Children log their healthy habits throughout the week and print a personalised certificate at the end showing their ‘health’ score and ‘brain’ score.
(For details on our other sessions, please contact us or search for separate listings.)
Why book A Life's Healthy Workshops workshop for your school?
• Our Healthy Workshops have been carefully planned and prepared to bring to life a large number of curriculum objectives in a one hour session
• Our hands-on, interactive resources are stimulating and educational and are accessible for ALL ages and abilities, from those with severe SEN up to the brightest year 6 pupils
• We are an experienced provider with over 12 years’ experience, having taught well over 500,000 children in more than 750 schools with outstanding feedback and a 5 star rating almost every time
• We visit your school, so no additional transport costs or off-site disruptions for you (children stay in their usual lessons until their workshop time)
• You can mix and match from our workshops to create a unique programme that suits your school’s needs
What activities are available during this educational workshop?
Here is a brief overview of our other sessions, for more details please contact us or search for separate listings:
• Fun Fitness Sessions - designed to give all pupils a full body workout at the same time as reinforcing the key messages of keeping healthy from the hands-on workshop. We provide a fun-packed, non-stop, fast-paced session that motivates pupils to understand that keeping active is a vital part of staying healthy and can be a lot of fun. (Nur-Yr 6)
• Alcohol & Drug Awareness Workshop – our experienced coaches, with hands-on activities and anecdotal stories, will provide a comfortable and relaxed space in which to explore the issues surrounding drugs and alcohol, as well as the associated issues of peer pressure and knowing how to make informed, sensible decisions. (Yr 5-8 only)
• Staff Training – these sessions are packed full of games and ideas for teachers. From basic warm up ideas to team games, to skills sessions, our A-life team will provide plenty of activities and ideas to inspire and equip staff as they go back to their classrooms and deliver PE.
• Parent Sessions – these sessions are very flexible – they can be based on the Healthy Workshop or Fun Fitness and can be adults-only or have children join their parents to learn / get active as a family.
What size groups do you cater for?
Healthy Workshop – up to 60 pupils per 1 hour session (up to 300 per day)
Do you offer access for visitors with disabilities?
N/a – we visit your school.
Do you cater for visitors with Special Educational Needs (SEN)?
We have intentionally designed our sessions to be hands-on and practical, to engage all children in the group no matter what their age, ability or language. Our workshops are particularly good for children with SEN as there is minimal ‘teaching from the front’ and maximum hands-on pupil participation. We regularly visit SEN schools and are experienced in delivering sessions for pupils with even the most severe disabilities.
“I would highly recommend A- life. The interactive ‘healthy lifestyle’ workshop & fitness session were both of a high standard & managed to cover so many different curriculum objectives in a way we would not have been able to deliver as a school. A-life delivered a similar hands-on experience to the science museum. Well planned & resourced, inspiring, challenging and created enthusiasm amongst the pupils. Great price and no hassle to organise. I will definitely be booking A-life again! 5*."
Frith Manor Primary School
|Free Places for Teachers|
|Bursaries or Funded Places Available|
Need more inspiration?
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Below are a few similar suggestions to A Life , or head to our tailor-made trip form and let us know how we can help you!