'Hoo Zoo and Dinosaur World Workshop' with Hoo Zoo and Dinosaur World
Unlike many Zoo’s, Dinosaur Parks and Outreach programs we keep all our content educational, interactive and entertaining without moving away from factual accuracy into sensationalism.
All our Dino-Rangers have an active interest in dinosaurs, fossils and anything prehistoric – this is not ‘just a job’ to them. You can be guaranteed a professional, informative and fun approach towards all our fossil workshops!
Early Bookers Discount
Current School Trip Offer
Any bookings up to 1st June 2024 will receive a huge 25% discount. Just mention this when booking.
valid until: April 2024
Risk Assessments Inspection Visits
What activities are available during this educational workshop?
All our outreach visits can be tailored to your topics and requests. We have worked tirelessly putting together a program that hits all the key points in the National Curriculum whilst keeping children engaged. The standard 1 hour long outreach program includes:
1. Introductory talk about fossils, dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures – if AV equipment is available we can include some educational videos made for us by Walking With Dinosaur’s Nigel Marven – During this talk we will cover the fossilisation process and the difference between body and trace fossils whilst also showing some of our own fossils.
2. Tactile session where children can physically hold some of our fossils and touch others whilst being told about them and invited to ask questions.
3. Sorting session where children are encouraged to sort each fossil into trays indicating whether they are ‘trace’ or ‘body’ fossils.
4. Fossil rubbings – children are all given replica fossils and paper to make pencil rubbings. They are then taught how to identify each one.
5. Short show and tell of specific geodes and minerals with an explanation of how they form.
6. A short quiz on what the children have learned during the session.
7. We finish with a short Meet the Dinosaur session with one of our baby Dinosaurs
Which Curriculum Subjects do you cater for?
Curriculum topics available: Fossils, Rocks.
Through our Fossil Workshop we can help children explore not just fossils and how they are formed but also different types or rocks and minerals.
Our sessions include hands on activities looking at (and handling) real fossils and all children get to take home a genuine fossil with them afterwards.
Through our use of fossils and animatronic dinosaurs we help get children interested in Palaeontology. We will take children on a trip through history and help them understand why the dinosaurs went extinct along with how fossils are formed. All children get to take home their own genuine Dinosaur Fossil.
What size groups do you cater for?
Up to 120 children.
Do you offer access for visitors with disabilities?
Yes we can tailor activities accordingly.
Do you cater for visitors with Special Educational Needs (SEN)?
Yes we can tailor activities accordingly.
Who are Hoo Zoo and Dinosaur World?
With over 100 species of animals, 30 animatronic dinosaurs and activities taking place all day Hoo Zoo really is a fun day out whatever the age.
Hoo Zoo and Dinosaur World launched back in 1991 as Hoo Farm Country Park and over the past 30 years has become one of the midlands premier attractions – even winning National Farm Park of the year along the way. In 2004 the farm became a licensed zoo and hasn’t looked back. Now the zoo is home to not just sheep, cows, pigs and horses but other zoo favourites such as Meerkats, Lemurs, Servals, Caracal and even Wolves.
Hoo Zoo and Dinosaur World is extremely passionate about conservation with a strong message throughout the zoo of conservation through education. This is put across through the fun informative meet and greets that take place but also the renowned animal experiences (advanced booking essential). Whilst being great fun, the new dinosaurs are an important part of this message with it being more important than ever that steps are made to stop us going the way of the…..well dinosaurs!
We are bursting with ideas on places that deliver first class teaching both outside the classroom and as in-school workshops. Feel free to use our tailor-made trip form and we can help you find the perfect experience for your class!